Monday, December 17, 2012

- quick recipe of the week -


Wow, what a heart wrenching past couple of days we have had, huh? I'll leave my thoughts and feelings for another post, but my heart is breaking for everyone touched by the horrible shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School. Every time I so much even think about it, the tears start flowing. It's so, so devastating and horrific...

Whew...(pause while I collect myself once again)...

Okay, today I am recycling an old recipe I have posted before...because it is an absolute must for the holidays, and it's also something fun the kids can help you make. Quality time with their kids should be everyone's number one priority after what happened on Friday, and this is definitely something that is very toddler friendly!

Puppy Chow
9 cups Chex cereal
1 cup semi sweet chocolate chips or baking chips
1/2 cup creamy peanut butter
1/4 cup butter
1 tsp vanilla
1.5-2 cups powdered sugar

Melt the chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter in a pot over the stove, or in the microwave. Add the vanilla to the mixture. Pour Chex cereal into a large mixing bowl and pour the chocolate mixture over the Chex. Mix gently until cereal is fully coated with chocolate. Pour powdered sugar into a large ziploc bag. Spoon the Chex in to the bag and shake until coated with powdered sugar. Cool and enjoy!

(Image credit http://storyofmylifetheblog.blogspot.com)

*Hint, the part that is so much fun for the kids to help out with is the "shaking in the bag" step...although, you might want to double bag your mixture if your kid is an especially strong "shaker"...ha ha!

You'll love to have bowls of this around your house this holiday season...but be careful...it's addicting!


5 comments:

WhatJeanLikes said...

Kyra, thank you so much for sharing this recipe! It looks delicious and it would be the perfect recipe to share with my son and young nieces because they all can help :)

hope you have a lovely week and I look forward to reading more of your posts. Come link up with the Aloha Friday Blog Hop!! It's a way to make the "Aloha Friday" spirit linger on well beyond the weekend.
{Aloha Friday Blog Hop}

Aloha,

What Jean Likes

Shannon said...

YES! Puppy chow is the best. I think I'll make some for my family party this Saturday.

Thanks!

Amy and Luke said...

Just an FYI- I made your artichoke Ckn recipe you shared back in June tonight-about the 6th or 7th time we've made it. We love it- thanks!

Andrea {kerubo mama} said...

I've seen this recipe before, but have not yet tried it! I think this season is the time to do so! Thanks, hon! xo

Danavee said...

I could eat. And eat. And eat. Puppy chow. Dangerous stuff!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin