Wednesday, October 26, 2011

- a little public service announcement -

I know that as a parent, we can't wrap our little ones in bubble wrap and try to protect them from every thing that might hurt them. I know that accidents happen, no matter how cautious you are as a parent. But I also think there are some proactive things that parents can do to prevent some major accidents. Even the accidents that you don't think would EVER happen in your house.

Now that I have a toddler, I have been aware how important it is to strap your furniture to the walls. But up until now, we had not actually done it. You always say you will, and then just never get around to it.

A week ago, I read this post. Please take the time to read it. It's a scary story about a little girl who climbed on a dresser to try to get a toy. Her mom had left her alone for less than 30 seconds...that's right, it happened that fast..the dresser fell on her head, and the poor little girl was pinned under it. She had major head trauma and needed surgery to correct the damage that was done to her head and her brain. It's a scary thought...that something like that can happen that fast.

(Image credit thecreativemama.com)
When I told Matt about the story, he didn't even have to read the story...he just took one look at the pictures of the little girl post-surgery, and told me he would strap everything to the wall immediately. One week later, we have a safer house (and yes, also a lot more holes in the walls, but that's okay! We'll deal with that when we move or when our kids have grown up).

We used these straps, and they seemed easy enough to install. And they are definitely secure! 



Ellie isn't even that adventurous of a toddler. She doesn't climb on tons of things, and she can be pretty scared and timid. She's definitely not fearless and doesn't explore many areas of our house without us. But I would never, ever forgive myself if I took my eyes off of her for a minute and something like this happened to her (and let's just be honest, it's totally unrealistic to think you will always have your eye on your child at all times). And imagine if something like this happened to your child and it was completely preventable, with one $5.00 package of safety brackets and a half an hour of your time. Seriously you guys, please do this! Don't assume that something like this won't happen to your child or that your furniture is heavy enough and will never tip over. You never know what could happen in 30 seconds. I know so many people with toddlers that say they are going to get around to doing this, and just never do. And odds are, nothing will happen to their children. But you never know! People use seat belts, and car seats everyday to protect their children...furniture straps are really no different. It's just another strap that ensures your child's safety.

I actually have an extra package of these that we didn't end up needing. I am going to offer them to anyone who is interested in trying them out, as long as you promise that they actually get put to use, and not just thrown in a drawer with the intentions of installing them "some day".  Just shoot me an email or leave me a comment and I will mail my extra package out to the first interested reader who wants to make their house just a little safer for their little ones!

And a big thank you to my hubby for making this a priority and getting these installed on our furniture! Our dressers and tables are not even close to budging anymore.



10 comments:

Becoming Supermommy said...

You've convinced me. I'd love to try them out.

Kerry said...

Thanks for sharing! It's really awful what happened to that poor little girl.

Courtney B said...

Break my heart!! How SCARY!
I had no idea that you had to strap furniture to the wall! (I guess it's a good thing we don't have kids yet..ha) Thank you for sharing this... I will NEVER forget it. Thanks to you, I WILL be prepared when we have kids!

Carlie said...

That is scary! I didn't know you could do anything like that either. Now when I have kids, I definitely will!

Lisa @ Mumma's Corner said...

wow, thank you so much for posting this. so scary and makes the definitely question my son's safety in our own house. i'm definitely interested in trying out these furniture straps!

Ashley said...

Thanks for posting this! I've been telling my husband that we need to bolt our daughters dresser to the wall, going tonight to get stuff for that.

P! said...

I have honestly never heard of this before. Granted, I'm very young and don't have kids now and probably won't for quite awhile, but I am so glad you posted this. I will absolutely remember this. That picture says a thousand words. I won't let that be my child, if I can help it. Thanks, Kyna.

Mo said...

Thanks for sharing this story. It's a good jolt back into reality. The typical illusion of invincibility is just that..an illusion. And this is definitely one illusion that needs to be shattered. Hopefully by reading this story, not finding out for ones self.

Sonya Marie said...

Thank you so much for sharing...that makes my stomach hurt thinking about it :[ poor thing

Anonymous said...

Aww bless her !

Such accidents happen there's a little boy where I live who was ontop of his dresser but unfortunatly as he was getting down got his neck stuck in the blinds string and hung himself to death ... You have to be so carefull !
xx

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin