Monday, September 26, 2011

- quick recipe of the week -

Big drum roll this morning...I am featuring one of my favorite, favorite ladies! I'm not kidding, I love this girl! This amazing blogger is one of the sweetest people I have ever met (even though I guess technically we haven't officially met in person yet). I fell in love with her blog the minute I saw it! She is one talented girl, and when I reached out to her for a little bit of photography help, she showered me with so many random acts of kindness! She seriously touched my heart with her instant friendship. Needless to say, like I said, I absolutely love this girl! And her family is simply adorable! Oh, and she lives in Costa Rica...one of the "must visit" places on our list of vacation spots! It's such a beautiful country!

Without further ado, please meet Sonya, from {shutter}mama. Sonya is a beautiful mom to one of the cutest little girls ever! Sonya, her daughter, Maia and Maia's wonderful father, Jose currently live in the small country of Costa Rica. Can you please look how funny and cute their little Maia is!

(Image credit Sonya)
 Jose is in his last year of college for Graphic/Advertising Design and Sonya is on her way to becoming a Neonatologist. Their plan is to make a move to the US within the next year. Sonya told me that making food in Costa Rica is a bit different than the US because there are NO time limits...they often find themselves starting a meal at 6:00 p.m. and not really eating until about 8 pm or later! And she promises it's not because the meals (including this one) are difficult to make, but instead meal time in Costa Rica is about spending time with the family. So while making the meal, everyone gathers and talks and jokes about their day. The kitchen becomes cramped quarters where everyone is more than happy to stand and visit with one another causing the cooking process to slow down a bit! I don't know how well that would work in my itty bitty kitchen, but what great family time that would be!

Chicken Chimichangas with Guacamole
6 (12 inch) flour tortillas
4 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1 pound Monterey jack cheese (shredded)
4 cups refried beans Butter or Oil (To Cook)
Sour Cream (optional)
1 cup Tomato

Avocado topping-
2 avocados
1 pkg. McCormick Guacamole Mix
1/2 of a lemon

Start by making your avocado topping (It's going to need to refrigerate for about 30 minutes). To make the guacamole- in a medium bowl mash together avocados and lemon juice. Stir in McCormick Mix. Now, to make the chimichangas, boil chicken at a steady boil for 30 minutes. Once done, drain and shred with fork. Heat refried beans in a saucepan over low heat until they stir easily. Heat tortillas in a large skillet or in the microwave so that they fold easily. Butter one side of the tortilla. If you choose not to use butter you can cook these in oil. Flip tortillas, butter side down on plate and spoon equal amounts of refried beans onto each tortillas followed by equal amounts of chicken, tomato, and Monterey jack cheese. Roll up the tortillas¸while tucking in the sides. Heat skillet and put in folded tortillas, turning once, until browned on both sides. Put on Medium-Low heat and cover with lid to get the cheese to melt - the longer they're in there at a lower heat the gooey-er the cheese). Place on a plate and top with guacamole mix! Serve with a side of sour cream.

(Image credit Sonya)

(Image credit Sonya)

How good does that chimichanga look? YUMMY!

Please go visit Sonya at {shutter}mama and get to know this talented, beautiful mom. You won't regret it! Everyone that reads Sonya's blog loves her and her writing, and I promise you will too!  Someday, I will get to meet this sweetheart in person and I will be so happy that I did!

2 comments:

Melanie said...

Yummmm! Just reading about this lovely lady, I knew I'd love her... Then I saw her recipe & now I am smitten! I love me some Chimmies, & I will soooo try this one! Thanks so much ladies!

Amy said...

Love this recipe. Will be trying it this week! Hope you are having a wonderful week Kyna!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin