Thursday, December 15, 2011

- the craziness of the holidays...what does it all mean -

The hustle and bustle of the holidays is all around us. Everyone is checking their lists, running to the malls, buying gifts like crazy. But what does it all mean? It is so easy to get caught up in all of this craziness. I was just talking to my friend, Melanie, about how every year I get reeled into the commercial aspect of the holidays. I make my list of gifts, run around buying things like crazy, get all caught up in the wrapping, and shipping, and planning.  And at the end of it all, we only get a couple days off of work to actually celebrate and relax with family and friends, and then it's back to the grind, only to do it all over again the following year. I really think we lose the true meaning of the holidays with all of the stress that comes along with the fuss and flurry.

I would absolutely love to say no to it all. But so many people in our family expect the normal "routine" of Christmas which includes buying and giving gifts, and it's hard to say no to them.

I would, however, like to force myself to slow down this year, and make a conscious effort to remember what this season is really all about. I also need to remind myself how lucky we are, how blessed we are, and how unnecessary the consumer aspect of Christmas really is.

(Image credit egaretto.wordpress.com/

Take a moment to stop and think about it before your next trip to the mall this season.

Take a moment to think about it next time you stress about all the gifts you have left to buy.

I know for many, (myself included), giving gifts makes me happy. Seeing the smile on others faces when they unwrap a heartfelt gift warms my heart.

So, I'm not saying don't do it...I'm just saying, think about the real meaning of the season as you are rushing around the mall, fighting others for the last parking space, buying things unnecessarily.

Take a moment to enjoy the love, the peace, the joy, the blessings. For that is what the holiday season is truly about.

(Only 4 more days left for Cans for Comments....keep those comments coming!)



6 comments:

e photography said...

love this post! thank you.

Carlie said...

Agreed! I saw that picture on pinterest too (I think). It is so good to remember!

Amelia said...

I agree as well. Christmas has turned into such a 'commercial holiday' that I wonder how many people really remember the "reason for the season". Our budget has been tight since I left my FT job a year and a half ago (to stay home with our two children, and also do part-time licensed childcare to help w/the bills) so it wouldn't even be possible to buy gifts for all that we would want to. We have 6 nieces/nephews and for the past few years we've just been giving gifts to them (as well as our two children, my two daycare children, and 3 "nieces" in Finland-my friends girls). These gifts have all been home made. I LOVE to sew, and it's so fun to make something special for all the kids. This year I made pillowcases (and also included a book-practically brand new from a local secondhand kids store), last years I made (library) book bags and included several secondhand books, the year before was 10 beanbags each w/a bag to carry them in. I already have a plan for next year (aprons w/measuring cups/spoons/etc) and can't wait to start sewing them!

Goodness, sorry for the novel of a comment ;-) Enjoy your holiday season!

Amy
http://aitonainen.blogspot.com/

Anonymous said...

I havent seen that picture but wow it really puts things into perspective for sure.

Mrs. Pancakes said...

I saw this picture and it was so clear! Thanks for posting!

Lisa @ Mumma's Corner said...

wow love that image. thank you for posting!!

Follow this blog with bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin